Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Dance on sweet cousin, Happy Birthday.

October 7th, 2015. Today would have been Skyler's 27th birthday.

I woke up this morning very early and as I got ready in the stillness of my house I began thinking of Skyler. What a beautiful soul he had and what a tragedy it was for him to be taken from this earth far too soon. As I walked outside into the darkness I was reminded of the light that was Skyler.

Skyler Hayes Price was born on October 7th, 1988. I could lie and say I remember everything about the day he was born but I was 3. I do remember my own brother being born later in July but that is probably my earliest memory.

Our mothers, Becky and Vicky, are sisters. They are extremely close and have 5 children between the both of them. We were not raised as cousins, we were raised as siblings. Skyler's sister, Brittany, was my first best friend and still is to this day. My brother, Evan and Skyler were extremely close as well and well Paige was the older sister to all of us. We spent summers, Christmas, spring break and so many other times together. I could go on and on about the many memories I have of us all but that would take way too much space.

Skyler lived a very full 19 years. He was happy, funny, smart, courageous and had the kindest soul I had ever known. Unfortunately on Dec. 8th, 2007 Skyler died. It forever changed our family. Christmas still to this day is sad and family gatherings feel smaller even as our family grows.

One reassurance I had when my dad died was that Skyler was there to greet him at the gates of Heaven and to say "welcome, I missed you".

I believe in Kingdom of Heaven. I believe that there is more to this life than this. I believe that we will see our loved ones again and I believe that God is not only with them but is with us every single day. Giving us the tools to know God and find our way to the kingdom. I believe that everyone is deserving of this. No matter what choices you make in life there is still hope. Even in the end.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

The eternal is what living our lives is in preparation for. And I know that my dad and Skyler and celebrating his birthday together today in the eternal kingdom of Heaven and that brings me joy and light out of the darkness of the day.

Dance on sweet cousin, One love.



























No comments:

Post a Comment