Wednesday, February 19, 2020

God showed up

I encourage my congregation to recognize when God shows up in their life. I recently preached on the topic and had them share among each other when a prayer was answered, when God showed up or when they had a hard time finding God. 

Often you can look around trying to find God and think "is that God?" 

I go with the thought that if you think it's God, then it is. God has shown up many times in my life when I least expected. Nudging me in certain directions, giving me guidance and reassurance that what I am doing with my life is the right thing.

God was present when each of my children were born

God was present the day I married Paul

God was there the day my dad passed 

God was there when I finally accepted my call into ministry 

and God is with me every single day even if I don't "see" God

God never abandons us and provides for us in ways we least expect.

This past week, my family and I traveled to Arkansas to celebrate the life of my husband's grandmother, Gran. Gran passed from this life to the next on Feb. 13th. She was laid to rest this past Sunday. 

As I prepared to leave for Arkansas, in a bit of rush, I had set everything up for worship on Sunday. 
Preacher- check
Music- check
Email to those that needed to know- check

And off we went, to be with family. 

I ignored my phone ringing on Sunday morning, sorry Jae, and just let God handle whatever was going on.

I later learned that it was an urgent situation. Our music director was not going to make it to worship due to things out of her control and our worship leader and choir section leader were tasked with leading all of the music.

As I spoke with Jae this morning, they explained that they and our worship leader had come up with a plan and were ready to go. Yet, when Jae sat down at the piano, Jae felt as though they no longer knew how to the play the piano and it wasn't going well...

Suddenly, Jae felt a tap on their shoulder. A woman, one no one had ever seen, said "would you like some help"

She sat down and played and she didn't just played she WAS AMAZING. She played for the rest of worship. 

Countless people today told me of the God moment at Indian Heights. God showed up that day, in the form of a woman who was able to play the piano and make worship even more meaningful. It would have been a beautiful service even if she hadn't given of her talent, taking that vulnerable step to offer help- that was truly a gift from God. 

Hebrews 13:2 states 
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it."

To Jodi- the woman who played the piano. You were the very image of God on Sunday.

God shows up

God provides

You never know when God will appear in your life

You don't have to sit around and wait, simply live life and be open to the possibility that you are in the presence of God; because God truly is all around.

See God in the beauty of every day life and the people in your midst. 

Know you are enough, you are worthy and you are beloved.


-Pastor Ali 

No comments:

Post a Comment