Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Wait...you are telling me that the Bible says to accept refugees and Immigrants? Impossible...

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." Leviticus 19: 33-34

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me," Matthew 25:35

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" Hebrews 13:2

"He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing." Deuteronomy 10:18

"And people will come from east and west, and from north and south, and recline at table in the kingdom of God" Luke 13:29


Paris, Lebanon and Iraq all suffered horrible attacks this week at the hands of Isis. People are scared. People are guarded and people are making harsh and horrific statements about the "blamed" religion of the people that did this. Islam is a beautiful religion that works to promote peace and to care for the poor and the oppressed. The people that committed these horrible attacks claim to be of this faith, but if you knew anything about the faith you would know that they are far from it.

As a society we are quick to make judgments about others. We decide that if you look like, act like or pray like someone that did something wrong then you must be like them. Yet when we are questioned about Christianity and the people that use the name of God to do wrong we quickly say "well that isn't Christianity". In our own state of Kansas we have a lovely Baptist church in Topeka. They stand outside of funerals, weddings, graduations, etc...holding their signs that claim God did all of this because we "allow" homosexuality in our world. I would be mortified to ever be associated with that church simply b/c I am also a Christian. Can you see what I am getting at?

Since the attack in Paris this week 25 Governor's, including our own lovely Sam Brownback, made a commitment to not allow Syrian refugees into their state. All simply because they are Muslim, come from the same country that an attacker may have been from and to be honest have the same color skin as the attackers.

Sam Brownback says he is a Christian. He wants the state to be a "Christian" state. All children to go to Christian schools and for us to follow the teaching of God everywhere we go. I personally believe following the teaching of God is a great idea. I just don't think Sam Brownback and I believe in the same God or read from the same Bible.

Over and over again the Bible says to accept refugees because the people of Israel once fled Egypt for religious asylum, so we must accept others doing the same. This is simply what is happening in Syria. The people fleeing are women, children and men all of different ages and walks of life. Yet they have one thing in common; they are trying to live a peaceful life without threats of being killed, tortured or exiled for what they believe. How is this any different than the Jews fleeing from Egypt?

I often think "why in the world are you going into ministry, it will be so hard". This is a perfect example of why. I refuse to allow the teachings of Jesus to be twisted to fit an agenda that people want. I refuse to allow the grace, love, mercy and acceptance that is taught to go unmentioned. I refuse to allow Christians to get a bad name by those that just so happen to speak a little louder.

Well, here I am and I am NOT quiet. It is time as Christians to stand up for what the Bible teaches us, to not allow others to use the name of God for their own agenda and to accept everyone with open arms and hearts.

As people of God we were once the refugees trying to find our place in a world that did not accept or know us. I pray that Christians today can do the same for all people seeking a place to lay their head, to call home and to worship God in the peaceful way that they do.

I am so incredibly grateful for the life I have been given and I am dedicated to speaking of the Good news of God and the promises made to us by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I just hope others can help spread the hope and light.

Be brave, loud and fight for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment