Wednesday, January 18, 2017

My Family Has A Song

Our family has a song. And I don't just mean my immediate family, I mean the entire Leitnaker family. "Bright Side of the Road" by Van Morrison has been a staple in our homes my entire life.

I have memories of listening to it in my parents Aerostar van on cassette while my dad played the air sax and sang every word.

At all our weddings the Leitnaker family will invite the new family on to the dance floor to join in our song.

I can remember my dad's 40th birthday party and I was probably supposed to be in bed but instead I was standing at the living room window watching my dad and his brothers dance with their wives to our song.

When my dad passed away the song played as we left the sanctuary. We all clapped and sang as loud as we could.

Then today it played again at my Grandpa's funeral as his family left the sanctuary and said goodbye to the man that made us family.

This song is more than just a song. It is an anthem. It defines who we are as a family and truly says that despite everything and what we go through there is a "Bright Side of the Road"

We honored my grandpa today. We sat in the church that he and my Grandma so loved. We listened to many songs that spoke to who he was as a person and his love for God. We cried, we laughed and we danced to our song.

Over the years, it has become more and more apparent to me how important family is. Especially my family. We are the lucky ones. We have a bond that is incredibly strong. My Grandparents raised their three boys to always put family first. And they raised their children the same way. As we stood in the cemetery today, my cousin Matt put it best "It is because of them that we are this lucky".

We are beyond blessed and our love continues to grow with each new baby that is born and with each person that passes. We know our love is eternal and we know that somewhere in the beyond my dad and Grandpa are dancing on the bright side of the road.

"Into this life we're born
Baby sometimes, sometimes we don't know why
And time seems to go by so fast
In the twinkling of an eye
Let's enjoy it while we can (let's enjoy it while we can)
Won't you help me share my load (help me share my load)
From the dark end of the street
To the bright side of the road"






No comments:

Post a Comment