Friday, December 29, 2017

"A Multitude of Heavenly Hosts Praising..."

I love the Christmas story. Not the movie, the birth of Jesus and read from the Gospel of Luke. It is a beautiful story that shows the struggles of Mary and Joseph and how they wrestled with what they were being asked to do. And then the "yes" that They gave to God. The "yes" that they gave to birth and raise the child of God. I then love the story of the angels appearing to the shepherds. The lowest of the lows. They worked with the dirty sheep and lived with them. Yet God chose to send the angels to THEM as the first visitors of the new born Christ. I love the story of the Magi coming (which doesn't actually happen for a few years). I love hearing of them going against Herod and fleeing so they don't have to tell Herod where the Christ child is. I just LOVE this story.

I was really excited for this Christmas to be an actual Pastor and getting to help lead worship at 3 different services. I was going to get to read the Christmas story 2 different times- the little girl inside of me was so excited. When I was 10 I was Gladys in "The Best Christmas Story Ever" and I got to yell to the audience "A CHILD IS BORN IN BETHLEHEM" and this year, I would get to do the same thing. I would get to shout those words (or say them very enthusiastically) and I would get to sing with a multitude of heavenly hosts that Jesus Christ our Lord was born.

Wednesday night, I started coughing. I typically chalk all that up to my allergies. By Thursday it just seemed to be a bit worse and when I opened my mouth to talk nothing came out. Literally nothing. Panic started to set in. I had just gotten over the horrible stomach flu and now this? Right before Christmas? Two days before I was supposed to help with the first of 3 services?

By Friday I knew that my voice may not come back. So I went to the doctor. I had laryngitis and an ear infection. Who gets an ear infection at 32 years old? Luckily, I was able to get on antibiotics because of the infection.

So Saturday came. I was ready to read the Christmas Story. Yet as I practiced I became even more nervous. It wasn't going to sound good and I would not be shouting the Good News of the birth of Jesus Christ.

I sent my boss a text just to warn her for the next day and then most amazing gift was given to me. A gift I wasn't asking for and a gift I didn't know I needed. Nanette told me to stay home. She was already at the church and would help. At first I was sad but then I realized that in order to be able to help tomorrow at the services I had to rest my voice that night.

It is amazing how your body can show you when you need to rest. That you need to take care of yourself in order to care for others. I am so grateful for Nanette and that gift she gave me. The gift to rest.

During this time of rest I did a lot of thinking about the beloved Christmas story. The struggles of Mary and Joseph, the fright of the shepherds (wouldn't you run away if something came out of the sky and started talking to you? Even if they said do not be afraid?) and the bravery of the Magi that journey to meet the Christ King and the risk they took in doing so. Christmas is about reflection. It is about having a time to sit back, rest, reflect and realize what Christmas is about. To realize that the Christmas story is much more than a story about a baby being born. It is about the vulnerability in each of us when we say yes to God. It is about the fear that comes with being uncertain of what is going to happen in your life and the bravery of finding God in your hearts and in the hearts of others.

Christmas is about transformation. It is about finding the light and love in each of us. It is about being brave enough to invite Christ into our lives and to not be afraid of what could happen when you allow the love of God into your life.

I got to share the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. My voice was a bit husky and didn't exactly sound the way I wanted but maybe the quiet of my voice and the humility of me accepting that I was not healthy is what brought me closer to God this Christmas.

God bless everyone. Open your hearts to what Christmas can bring. It is pretty amazing once you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment