Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Life has me...GOING CRAZY!

May is always a busy time of year. From graduations to weddings to end of the school events. Did you know that there are about 10,000 things to do at the end of the year in preschool? No? I didn't either. Apparently there is about every opportunity to be involved and to make yourself feel like a bad parent for missing things and/or not being able to attend things.

Now, let's be clear. I know I am a good mom. In fact, I know I am a great mom. My kids are fed, dressed, usually clean and have a loving home. Yet, society puts all this pressure on us to be "perfect" in an imperfect world.

Who has time for the Kansas kindest citian event, the field trip, field day, art show, talent show...the list goes on.

Plenty of places and ways for you to feel like you have failed as a parent.

I recently found out that ordering a yearbook in KINDERGARTEN is a thing. A real thing that most parents do. To be honest, when I saw the order form back in FEBRUARY, I ignored it. What kindergartner needs a yearbook? Then I was told that there is a yearbook signing party... oh crap! My kid will be THAT kid- the one you strive so hard to make sure your kid isn't.

My first thought, I'll just pull him from school that day. He will never know what he missed and I will be the COOL mom for letting him out early. Then I really started to think about it- I don't have time to pull him from school so what am I going to do? Henry's teacher lovingly told me that all kids will have something for kids to sign so my kid will be walking around with the stapled pieces of paper that say "autograph" while others have a book...

Deep breath... It will be okay. Henry will be OK. The kids are OK.

As we start to get ready for summer, deep breaths are going to be essential for all of us parents. The kids will be home, the house will be a mess, the outdoor toys will not be picked up (mine never are) and they may live off of fruit snacks and cheetos all summer but they will be okay. Everything will be okay because our kids know we love them, know we always want the best for them and know that they are loved.

SNL did a great skit on the "perfect" parent. Watch it here and enjoy a good laugh knowing that ALL of us are perfectly imperfect, enough, worthy and beloved.

-Pastor Ali


No comments:

Post a Comment